The Gary Mausoleum was erected in 1912 of granite from Barre, Vermont, by Judge Elbert H. Gary, a son of Erastus Gary, to serve as a resting place for the Gary family. In 1926 the policy of the Association was changed to provide a trust fund for perpetual care through gifts, surplus, and the allocation of a part of the sales price of lots. A part of this trust fund was created by a gift from Elbert Gary, then President of the United States Steel Corporation. All lots are now sold with an agreement providing for perpetual care. A Columbarium was constructed in 2000.
The Association is still strictly a non-profit organization, and no member, director, nor officer receives any compensation. The directors, who are business people representing a cross section of Wheaton, feel that the Cemetery is an integral part of the community, and have always endeavored to operate it on this basis.
The Cemetery provides a final resting place for loved ones in secluded tranquility close to home. The quiet atmosphere gives a feeling of rest and security.
The perpetual care given with all lots insures the continuing beauty of the well-kept grounds. The many huge trees add to the sense of serenity. The cost of lots is reasonable and affordable.